- The receiving line? Skip it! Immediately following the ceremony, spend more time getting great shots with your photographer and opt for an elaborate exit instead. Have a designated member of your bridal party distribute bubbles, sparklers or sprinkles for your guests to use as the new Mr. & Mrs. exit the ceremony space (this also makes for a fabulous photo op!) Later, at the reception, be sure that the two of you visit each table to personally thank your guests for coming!
- Assigned ceremony seating? Skip it! There's no need for the bride & groom's families to sit on opposite sides of the room. A wedding symbolizes both families coming together, so why separate them? Just display a sign like the one below where the guests will see it as they enter, and if you're having ushers, make sure they know as well!
|Find this at PurplePeonyCouture's shop on Etsy.|
- Something new, old, borrowed & blue? Keep it! In the months prior to the wedding, looking for these four items is actually a lot of fun! And for the ones you're not sure of, ask friends and family for ideas. You might be surprised at their suggestions! Think outside the box when it comes to your choices. Instead of the typical blue garter, try something unique like this bride, who had her wedding date stitched in blue thread into her wedding gown!
|Image Credit: Brooke G Images|
- White dress? Skip it...maybe. If you've been reading all the latest issues of bridal magazines, then you've seen the stunning new gowns in a range of gorgeous colors! It's true that this trend may not be suitable for every bride. And there's nothing wrong with wearing a white or ivory gown! But if you're wanting to make a fashion statement at your wedding, look at some of these breathtaking blush, black and champagne options!
|Image Credit: Vera Wang|
|Image Credit: Vera Wang|
|Image Credit: JLM Couture|
|Image Credit: Kenneth Pool|
- Wedding cake dessert? Skip it! With all the new dessert selections for weddings, why stick with the original? Or if you just can't bear to do without it, serve it alongside one or multiple other selections. What's your favorite sweet treat? Cookies, pie, candy or the ultra-trendy cupcakes? All fabulous choices! And look how adorable!
- Garter and bouquet toss? Keep it! A wedding reception just isn't the same without this age-old tradition and generally, people really do love it! If you plan on preserving your bridal bouquet, make sure to ask your florist for a small toss bouquet just for this purpose or even re-use your flower girl's arrangement! For the garter toss, I recently came across this fun idea that the guys will love!
Are there any other traditional wedding practices you'd like to keep, modify or forget? Let me know in the comments below!
Have you "liked" All Tulled Up on Facebook, yet? Once we reach 100 likes, we will host a giveaway so be sure to share this blog and our Facebook page with all of your friends!